5 Natural Anti Ageing Tips
As a nurse and nutritionist, I believe the first and most important thing anyone can do to slow down ageing is to turn to our diet and lifestyles. Ageing gracefully depends not only on what you put on your body, but also what you feed it and how you treat it. If you eat a diet high in refined foods and live a stressful lifestyle with little sleep, this will certainly speed up cellular ageing. Here are my 5 natural anti-ageing tips for younger looking skin;
- Get your beauty sleep: Sleep is a biologically essential process where our organs get to work to detoxify waste products from our bodies, repair tissues, build muscles, make hormones & restore cells. It has been proven that skin cell rejuvenation takes place when your body is at rest. Aim for 7-8 hours sleep per night & always ensure you apply Vitamin A to your skin at night to repair & replenish skin cell renewal. I always advise patients that good quality sleep is the number 1 lifestyle hack for younger looking skin.
- Consume anti-inflammatory foods daily: Beautiful skin starts on the inside. The skin is our largest organ and is the first place to show when there is an inflammation present inside of our bodies. Research has shown that the consumption of whole foods rich in vitamins, carotenoids, tocopherols, flavonoids and a variety of plant extracts have been reported to possess potent antioxidant properties that prevent ageing. Eat foods such as broccoli, blueberries, spinach, walnuts, wild caught fish, avocados and grass fed beef.
- Ditch the sugar: Sugar damages your skin through a natural process called glycation. This is where the sugar in your bloodstream attaches to youth proteins to produce harmful free radicals known as advanced glycation end products. (AGE’s) Research has shown that AGE’s accelerates the ageing process by damaging collagen & elastin, increasing the appearance of wrinkles and sagging.
- Eat your SPF: We all know that wearing SPF daily on our skin protects us from UVA & UVB rays to prevent sun damage and skin ageing. I also recommend to consume foods rich in Lycopene that boosts your natural sun protection by 33%. Eat tomatoes, papaya, pink grapefruit & red peppers.
- Time restricted eating: Try to eat all of your meals within a 10-12 hour window. Having periods of fasting has been shown to produce a molecule that reverses the signs of ageing. Intermittent fasting also stimulates the body to maintain and repair tissues including our skin cells.
If you would like to know more about how food and nutrition can help slowing down ageing you can book in with our Nurse Practitioner & Nutritionist, Nurse Fiona. We offer bespoke blood and functional tests to get your health back on track! Email firstname.lastname@example.org